The UMKC School of Education-Charter School Center (“the CSC”) seeks to fulfill its mission:
We are committed to increasing our students’ understanding of Mathematics concepts, thus enabling them to
- synthesize their knowledge at increasingly advanced levels.
- solidify their confidence in their abilities to “do math.”
Technology, teacher collaboration, and increased student engagement, combined, can create a new environment and culture for learning.
The UMKC Math Matters website provides teachers
- Convenient access to vetted web-based content videos aligned to grade-level specific Missouri Learning Standards
- Self-directed professional development through advanced notification of mathematics-related events
- Opportunities to convene with global mathematics professionals through on-line webinars
- Convenient 24-7 access to an ever-growing library of best-practices for integration across grade levels
- Exposure to rigorous teaching strategies
for the purposes of building a consistently enhanced base of content knowledge.
Curriculum resources and activities will demonstrate:
- Fewer topics, generalizing and linking concepts
- Alignment with strategies of high-achieving math countries
- Emphasis on both conceptual understanding and procedural fluency starting in the early grades
- Additional time to teach and reinforce core K-12 math concepts
- Focus on mastery of complex concepts in higher math via hands-on learning
- An emphasis on mathematical modeling in upper grade levels
UMKC Charter School Center goals:
- Increase in ability of staff members to identify and adopt challenging achievement goals, analyze data, diagnose and determine rationale, then prescribe solutions.
- Increase in our students “electing” to take additional math credits upon fulfilling their required credit obligation.
- Significant reduction in enrollment of our graduates in remedial math classes at post-secondary institutions, as compared to students not graduating from a UMKC charter school.
Go to UMKC Charter School Center website